I've been playing with a media catalogue program on my Mac called Delicious Library*. It's fun! I can scan the barcodes of my books and get them entered into my computer. There are other modes of entry, but I find using the webcam to scan barcodes particularly fun (just like I enjoyed barcoding books in the Northwestern University Library as part of my workstudy job in 1989).
Anyway, I scanned in all of the books on the shelf right next to my desk in my home office. Just a fraction of what I own, but it was a start. Now I can keep notes on these books -- like who I loaned them to! I always forget that and lose books that way and/or buy second copies because I can't remember who has the book when I need it.
After scanning the books, I also was able to export the list of ISBNs and then import that into Library Thing.
If you want to see my books, click here. These are mostly work-related, although a few of my daughter's books and my husband's first book snuck in there, too.
*Picked this up as part of MacHeist this year. If you have a Mac, you really should check this out next time!
Monday, July 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
That's pretty cool! I'll have to try it now that my new laptop has arrived and I'm not so techie in the dark anymore!
ReplyDelete-Yvonne
Delicious Library
ReplyDeletePerhaps one day I will own a Mac. This is a very cool piece of software that I wish I could load now! I've bookmarked if for future reference...
Wow! Shounds a very cool tool. I don't have a Mac, so I tried to Google a similar application to Delicious Library for Windows. I have found 3 website that allows a PC user to use a webcam to scan barcodes. However, my laptop doesn't have a built-in webcam, and it doesn't work with my external usb webcam, either. Maybe other's get lucky?! http://www.imediaman.com/
ReplyDeletehttp://en.barcodepedia.com/ http://www.beepmystuff.com/