but did blogs and Twitter kill the listserv?
It also was briefly discussed on ITForum which is a listserv for our field. If you're not on it and want to be, go here. You can access old (archived) messages via the web site if you have a log in.
This is a blog for our Summer '10 class. It includes older posts from the Summer '09 class.
I am on ITForum, and have been for over a year. I don't feel comfortable commenting there because there seem to be so many rules, and I don't want to get a finger-wagging email.
ReplyDeleteI don't really understand the need for the rules on ITForum. I'm on another listserv that has lots of rules, because there is a need for privacy due to the nature of the topic. I'm comfortable participating there.
I think listservs that share info that can be shared openly probably will die. Why deal with learning rigid social rules when you can get the same information in a more open environment?
There is always a bit of an issue at ITForum about whether or not it is a paper week and thus unacceptable to post other things. Conceptually, I'm frustrated by that set up because if ITForum is to support a CoP then the members should be able to ask and answer questions at any time. I guess it isn't really set up for that intent, though, and instead is a paper discussion forum.
ReplyDeleteI never participate, nor do I read the papers. I'm mostly subscribed because 2-3 times per year an interesting announcement (CFP, etc.) shows up there. The rest of the time I exercise my right to hit the delete key. Oh, and I get amused by the occasional flood of unsubscribes that then generate irritated messages telling people how to unsubscribe which, in turn, generate more unsubscribe messages to the forum. Sigh.