Sunday, July 19, 2009

Facebook: Developmental downfall of today's youth?

While searching for something entirely different I came across this news article from February of this year which I had not previously seen. Perhaps it was big news at the time -- I was in the blur of new motherhood that month.

Anyway, a professor at Oxford claims that social networking sites may actually alter the brain (and attention span) of youth who grow up with heavy exposure while still developing.

3 comments:

  1. didn't they say this about tv when we were growing up? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lady Greenfield's comment to the House of Lords was very interesting:

    She said that children's experiences on social networking sites "are devoid of cohesive narrative and long-term significance. As a consequence, the mid-21st century mind might almost be infantilised, characterised by short attention spans, sensationalism, inability to empathise and a shaky sense of identity".

    Gina's right, they said the same thing about TV and, if I recall correctly, the same comments were made about video games, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe I didn't see this before, but perhaps we should introduce the Oxford professor to the researchers at MIT (see the blog post just before this one).

    What wonderfully dichotomous academic viewpoints! I expect competing entries on Wikipedia any day now. :)

    ReplyDelete