Tuesday, July 7, 2009

In the future, having a Second Life will be even easier.

Crystal mentioned on her blog that she tried Second Life and found it not as easy as she thought it would be. I had the same experience when I first tried SL

Anyway, today I saw this article with a commentary from the SL founder in which he says, among other things, that it will get more user-friendly:
At the moment, Rosedale says it takes about five hours to understand and get your bearings in SL. With software and hardware refinements, he says that it will take only five to 20 minutes to get the lay of SL’s virtual terrain. That’s about as close to user-friendly as any technophobe can hope for.
For those of you who have tried SL already, what was your learning curve?

9 comments:

  1. You could try taking a guided tour. ASTD used to have one, much nicer than staying in the main initiation area.

    What is the slurl to the Instructional Systems island?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't find a way to like Second Life. Just the name alone is enough to turn me off to the technology.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried it a few times and didn't like it. The learning curve is very high. It's not intuitive to me. I had a difficult time even navigating through.

    -Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gina:
    http://slurl.com/secondlife/FSU%20Instructional%20Systems/128/128/26/

    There's nothing there right now. No one has wanted to use it yet. I've got some plans, but they have to wait until after summer session is over and I have time to breathe again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is a virtual world called Small Worlds that the learning curve is not that bad and you can walk around and chat but also take on missions - some are more instructional than others www.smallworlds.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vanessa
    I tried to go to the URL you gave to gina and it would not let me in .. my second life name is Spring Kaestner.. would love to look at what you have there

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's nothing to look at there, Nancy. It's just a blank space. We've paid for it and no one has used it (which needs to change).

    Not sure why you couldn't get in -- if it's an issue with the SLURL I posted or some setting on the island. I can check on that later.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I couldn't get into the island either. It says I'm not authorized to be there.

    I keep thinking about Field of Dreams while I write this..."if you build it they will come". If you find out how to let us in, I'll try to build something.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Try it now. Somehow the checkbox controlling public access got toggled to the off position.

    ReplyDelete