Who blogs? About half of all bloggers are between 25-44 according to the report, and 40% have a graduate degree. Only 7% are in the 18-24 category. Now, that category represents a 5 year age span and the other groups were examined in 10-year spans (25-34; 35-44; I collapsed those to say half, but the percentages were 25 and 28, respectively). It's not an equal comparison, but you can see how the number of bloggers grows as age goes up. They did not include under 18 (or so it seems) in their reporting, but in my work with traditional college age student it's pretty clear that at 18 or 19 they're not (yet?) bloggers.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I am 25 and I find that many of my friends have begun to blog to keep in touch with family and friends as they move further away from these connections. When you're 18 and 19, many people are still very immersed in their social networks from high school or beginning college, so there is little need to broadcast out information in that format.
ReplyDeleteSomething else I have considered it that when people hit 25, many are starting new careers and beginning to see the world differently, developing stronger opinions, and feel the need to be heard.
I have not yet read the article, but maybe it could be that they view it as work. For high school and college they have to do a lot of papers, therefore writing. So, maybe they are just over the whole writing thing. Therefore the age of when people start blogging more makes sense to me. I am not sure what the explanation for the drop off in the 40's would be. Too many play dates, soccer games, homework help??
ReplyDeleteHmmmm. Facebook is somewhat akin to a blog and it's centralized and well known. If I set up a blog, as we've done in this class, what are the odds I can get a cadre of friends, colleagues, and acquaintances to follow that blog? Slim. While it's powerful, that well-known app is more mainstream and easy to sell. I also feel the younger generations like the quick hit and ease of Facebook where it's quick to be up and running.
ReplyDelete