Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The Internet is Dead!!!

Really. Because Prince said so. And you know he's an authority on these things. ;)

[An aside: Since when did stuff like this become news??? I found the headline on the CNN home page.]

8 comments:

  1. To be fair, it appears that he was narrowly addressing the internet as a distribution medium for COMMERCIAL (i.e. "I want to get PAID for this....") music.

    Interestingly, this is CNN (MAJOR outlet) presenting a somewhat poorly writen blog commenting on a rather interesting article (I'm not a Prince fan, but the original story is well-done)from the Mirror (medium outlet). Prince is reacting to internet-based piracy of copyrighted music, and the motivation of musicians to avoid letting their product get loose on the internet. But now most people, if this shows up on their radar at all, will simply get that Prince is a fool and a dinosaur.

    The mass amaturization that Shirky describes is characterized here by CNN forgetting some of the basic rules of journalism. They didn't just bury the lead, they lost the point entirely and changed the story. This is dangerous stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, he was taken out of context by CNN. I just found the whole thing amusing: Prince says something potentially wacky and gets quoted as a news headline by a major media outlet.

    Actually, CNN does quote a part of Prince's interview that regardless of initial context makes him sound wacky:
    "Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

    Fill your head with numbers? Really?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prince said it. I believe it. That's the end of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep. That's it. No more Internet for me. (or you) Those numbers sound dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, numbers: 1's and 0's baby. 1's and 0's. That's it, I'm outta here... I'm going to throw on my rasberry beret, jump in my little red corvette- put the top up before the purple rain falls and makes doves cry. Terrible, sorry.

    DD's point about CNN as a respectable mass media outlet is well taken though. It's surprising given that they base their reputation, and purpose for existence on responsible news reporting that they would misquote so horribly. In some ways it justifies the mass amateurization of media. If those we have trusted for good reporting foul it up so obviously, why should we use their news?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also posted this on my electronic journal. It is truly a tragic response by Prince to the threat that the internet poses and the general demise of the music industry's modus operandi.
    Given that the internet has created the foundation for many of the threats to his income, what better way to fight this phenomena than to declare the internet to be "dead"?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw this too. I thought, "What the ... ?!" Although I'm no Nostradamous, I predict that the model of the music industry will follow that of the Netflix/Redbox defeat of Blockbuster and move toward more direct and personalized distribution.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Either adapt or get left behind . . . I concur that the model many of these musical artists are used to is fading in the ether. Interesting . . .

    ReplyDelete