Thursday, July 15, 2010

enabling cheats

Breaking news!! CNN!!

Thankfully the article itself has the common sense to point out that it doesn't actually encourage or lead people to cheat, just that it can be used as a tool to reconnect with lost loves of lives past. This, apparently, is a very dangerous thing to do.

So, fess up! How many of you would friend an old flame on FB?

I'm actually FB friends with my ex-husband (Why not? We're on good terms and he's no threat whatsoever to my current marriage.) Also on my friend list is someone I dated for about a month the summer I was 15 and someone I dated for about 3 months as an adult.

My ex-stepmother (married to my dad for 30 years) reconnected with her high school sweetheart via email (no FB!) about 2 years ago and ... well, note that I called her ex. Of course the affair didn't work out either. Now that she's without either major love of her life she's finally showed up on Facebook.

3 comments:

  1. Of course I'm FB friends with old boyfriends! How else could I see how lucky I am not to be with them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My girlfriend from high school and I are connected via Facebook; purely friendship. She's been married three times; me once and still going . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. No,I would not. There isn't any bad blood from any of them. I don't mind a quick catch-up talk if I run into one around town. It is all friendly. I feel like you have to respect the person they are currently with(you may be comfortable, but the exes spouse or significant other may not) and out of respect the person you are with for that same reason. Let's face it, how many of us can say, with honesty, that if a ex significant other started chatting up our guy or girl, that we wouldn't be a little uncomfortable? I have a friend who recently admitted that she and an ex became friends on FB and that it got a little flirty. She enjoyed the attention, flattery, and the chatter about old times. She realized that something was wrong when she stayed up all night talking to him via chat on FB. She felt horrible and told her husband. This caused some problems in her marriage for a bit. So why "flirt" with the past if you are happy in the present? Some things are just best left to the past!

    ReplyDelete