This blog post by Marcia Conner discusses how Facebook plays a role in learning, just not in our traditionally defined, classroom-based manner.
Do those of you who have used Facebook (commonly referred to as a time waster -- I believe by some of you in this class already) agree with Conner's arguments? Or do you think she's hyping the tool a bit beyond its potential? For that matter, does its design and actual use reflect its potential?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Intersting read. I think learning is what you make of it-I think there is the possiblity to learn in any environment. I think facebook gets a bad name because it is used so often as a "time waster" or for "fun time". I love facebook, LOVE IT! I connect with people, see what they are up to, check out the new photos of my nephew etc. I don't use it to learn for my classes, or even collaborate with my classmates, but I see how you could. Blackboard provides all of that for me, but if I didn't have it, I could see the utility of facebook.
ReplyDeleteJust like everything else, there is pushback to ideas that are outside the "norm".
Good for those people looking to incorporate learning and fun. I'm sure there was just as much pushback when they started virtual worlds, and I have now been to 3 conferences where they show the utility of virtual worlds and teaching.
The times, they are a changin. We should keep up and enjoy the fact that learning actually CAN be fun!
The context of Facebook as a learning platform is vastly underrated often by it's most zealous and devoted users. One can truly find a cause to support (Wildlife Rescue) or support a friends new discoveries a continent away. I have banned it in my classroom however as the time wasting usages seem to have overwhelmed any educational purpose in my classroom(Food Stamps,TCA and Medicaid eligibility). Farming games are cute but really not what I need as an educational tool.
ReplyDelete